Consumer FAQs

Updated 4/4/2019

Q. Why does the pharmacy need my social security number?

A. The pharmacy is required to obtain a patient’s social security number when filling a prescription for a controlled substance. Information regarding the prescription is reported to the Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting (KASPER) system.

Q. What is KASPER?

A. KASPER, the Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting system, is a prescription monitoring program. This database is maintained by the state and records all controlled substances dispensed to patients. For more questions about KASPER visit

Q. Where can I get rid of unwanted medication, including prescriptions, controlled substances and over the counter medications?

A.  Use this link for the Office of Drug Control Policy's Prescription Drug Disposal locations.

State Office Building Annex, Suite 300
125 Holmes Street
Frankfort, KY 40601
Get Directions

(502) 564-7910


(502) 696-3806

Consumer FAQs