Reporting a Loss or Theft of Controlled Substances

Updated 6/20/2023

How do I report a loss/theft of controlled substances? 

201 KAR 2:205(3)(g) requires a pharmacy to report any theft or loss to: “1. The U. S. Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Agency as required by 21 C.F.R. 1301.76(b); 2. The Department of the Kentucky State Police as required by KRS 315.335; and 3. The board by providing a copy to the board of each report submitted.”

KRS 315.335 requires reporting theft/loss to BOP, local law enforcement, and KSP.

KRS 218A.200(6) a copy of the detailed list of controlled substances lost, destroyed, or stolen shall be forwarded to Cabinet for Health and Family Services as soon as practical.

Please send a copy of your DEA 106 or other reporting form for the loss/theft to:
CHFS: or fax to 502-564-7568
BOP: or fax to 502-696-3806

Reporting a Loss or Theft of Controlled Substances